Living in L.A. for a little over 2 years now, I find myself being an occasional tour guide when friends and families come over to visit. Over a year ago, I was on my way back from Frankfurt when a German family asked me a favor to jot down a 2 day itinerary for them while they set aside their L.A. guidebook and listened to a local (ahem). I guess this makes me a little qualified to write this. I still have a lot to discover about this city but I do wanna share my go to places when showing around first timers in L.A.
Now, I didn’t know this until I moved here but it is actually pronounced “roh-day-oh”. The famous expensive shopping street in Beverly Hills is where the hotel in the movie “Pretty Woman” can also be found.
A popular landmark with locals and tourists,
here is where the famous Route 66 (Chicago to L.A. route) ends.
Inside the Pacific Park, I like to take visitors on a ride up the Pacific Wheel for panoramic views of the area. There are free concerts along the pier during the summer months.
Located right across Santa Monica Pier, this is a vibrant spot for shopping, dining or just having a drink and relax after a sun-filled day at the beach.
Point Dume State Beach and Preserve
Entrance is free but there is a parking fee that can also be used on the same day for parking at the Getty Villa which is located in Pacific Palisades.
Being featured in several movies, this has become one of L.A.’s most photographed locations which stands at the entrance of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).
That’s my top 10! Now before heading out, one thing people always ask me is, how bad is L.A. traffic?
My constant advice is:
- Always allot 30 mins-1 hour between each destination.
- Don’t drive during rush hour.
- Try to find out which way is against traffic and with traffic and schedule your itinerary to avoid the latter.
- Have a navigation app that gives you up-to-date traffic information and check it right before driving. I personally use Google Maps.
- If you’re heading to downtown L.A., be prepared for traffic especially on a weekday!